It's reigning

Peter Moylan

May 10, 2004, 1:48:50 AM5/10/04
The latest issue of "UniNews", our university's main public relations
organ, has as its front-page headline "New Chancellor takes up the
reigns". I thought at first it was supposed to be a pun, but on
reading the article I see that the author didn't even notice the
spelling error.

Newspapers do this sort of thing all the time, but a university is
supposed to be more careful. Especially a university that offers a
journalism degree.

--
Peter Moylan peter at ee dot newcastle dot edu dot au
http://eepjm.newcastle.edu.au (OS/2 and eCS information and software)

Sebastian Hew

May 10, 2004, 8:33:25 AM5/10/04
Peter Moylan wrote:
> The latest issue of "UniNews", our university's main public relations
> organ, has as its front-page headline "New Chancellor takes up the
> reigns". I thought at first it was supposed to be a pun, but on
> reading the article I see that the author didn't even notice the
> spelling error.
>
> Newspapers do this sort of thing all the time, but a university is
> supposed to be more careful. Especially a university that offers a
> journalism degree.

Spelling aside, it's really the vice-chancellor who holds the reins of a
university, so to speak, so the metaphor was perhaps less apt than it
could have been.

By the way, I just noticed on the University's Media Unit 'News and
Events' website:

'Thursday 13 May 2004: The Chancellor, Professor Trevor Waring will be
welcomed into the role at an Instillation Ceremony 5.30 pm at the Great
Hall Callaghan Campus.'

I wonder what they plan to instil.

On a more serious note, though, at least the University of Newcastle is
not leaderless. Our (ex-) vice-chancellor was ousted after less than two
years at the helm. He was an effective vice-chancellor, and it is a
great pity he was forced to resign.

Wood Avens

May 10, 2004, 8:51:12 AM5/10/04
On 10 May 2004 05:48:50 GMT, pe...@seagoon.newcastle.edu.au (Peter
Moylan) wrote:

>The latest issue of "UniNews", our university's main public relations
>organ, has as its front-page headline "New Chancellor takes up the
>reigns". I thought at first it was supposed to be a pun, but on
>reading the article I see that the author didn't even notice the
>spelling error.
>
>Newspapers do this sort of thing all the time, but a university is
>supposed to be more careful. Especially a university that offers a
>journalism degree.

An article on Iran on the website of the Project for the New American
Century includes the phrase "the Bush administration's goals for
stemming the WMD proliferation and reigning in terrorist groups".

We can't say we weren't warned.

--

Katy Jennison

spamtrap: remove the first two letters after the @

David Clarke

May 10, 2004, 12:19:51 PM5/10/04
Moylan) wrote:

>The latest issue of "UniNews", our university's main public relations
>organ, has as its front-page headline "New Chancellor takes up the
>reigns". I thought at first it was supposed to be a pun, but on
>reading the article I see that the author didn't even notice the
>spelling error.
>
>Newspapers do this sort of thing all the time, but a university is
>supposed to be more careful. Especially a university that offers a
>journalism degree.

I am not sure what you are saying.

According to a Longman English dictionary:

reign /[countable]
1
the period when someone is king, queen, or emperor
reign of
changes that took place during Charlemagne's reign the reign of James
2
the period when someone is in charge of an organization, team etc
during his reign at the Education Department
3
a period during which something is the most powerful or most important
feature of a place
reign of
the reign of Stalinism in Russia
4
reign of terror
a period when a ruler or a government kills many of their political
opponents

Frances Kemmish

May 10, 2004, 12:23:41 PM5/10/04
David Clarke wrote:
> On 10 May 2004 05:48:50 GMT, pe...@seagoon.newcastle.edu.au (Peter
> Moylan) wrote:
>

>>The latest issue of "UniNews", our university's main public relations
>>organ, has as its front-page headline "New Chancellor takes up the
>>reigns". I thought at first it was supposed to be a pun, but on
>>reading the article I see that the author didn't even notice the
>>spelling error.
>>
>>Newspapers do this sort of thing all the time, but a university is
>>supposed to be more careful. Especially a university that offers a
>>journalism degree.
>

> I am not sure what you are saying.

Are you a graduate of the Newcastle University journalism programme?

<definition of 'reign' snipped>

Fran

Skitt

May 10, 2004, 12:31:03 PM5/10/04

Now look up the entry for "reins".
--
Skitt (in Hayward, California)
www.geocities.com/opus731/

Steve Hayes

May 10, 2004, 1:13:04 PM5/10/04
wrote:

>The latest issue of "UniNews", our university's main public relations

>organ, has as its front-page headline "New Chancellor takes up the
>reigns". I thought at first it was supposed to be a pun, but on
>reading the article I see that the author didn't even notice the
>spelling error.
>
>Newspapers do this sort of thing all the time, but a university is
>supposed to be more careful. Especially a university that offers a
>journalism degree.

It never reigns but it pores.

--
Steve Hayes from Tshwane, South Africa